Dental hygiene is a topic that is often overlooked in health discussions. Since it represents a small part of our body, some do not necessarily give it much attention. Some think that brushing the teeth twice a day, is enough to tick your box on oral hygiene. However, our dental health is just as important as other parts of our body. To peak your interest and understand more on dental hygiene, here are five fun facts we’re sure you’ve never heard before!
1. Your teeth can have an influence on your Heart, your bones, and much more!. Many people believe that our teeth are only about our oral hygiene, however many studies prove that the health of our teeth and gums have an impact on our overall health. It is believed to be related to diabetes, heart problems, and even osteoporosis.
2. Your teeth are much stronger than you think! The surface of your teeth is called enamel and is the strongest part of your body. How is it that it can break on a daily basis? It's very simple, your tooth enamel is exposed to a lot of stress like chewing, acidity in the mouth, or trauma.
3. Over the course of your life, you produce enough saliva to fill an average swimming pool! Every day your mouth produces between 500 and 1200 ml of saliva. Your saliva helps with disinfection and even digestion. This means that at the end of your life you will have produced about 25,000 liters of saliva!
4. People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
5. The most valuable tooth belonged to Sir Isaac Newton. In 1816, one of his teeth was sold in London for $3,633.00, or in today's terms, $35,700.00. The tooth was set in a ring.
Alix is a young business student from Paris, France with a passion for cosmetics and food.Alix Cherif- Cheikh